DIY Owl Mask

I made my little girls owl masks for their dress up box. They turned out cute, eh?

What you need:

Owl Template {here}

Felt

Scissors

Flocked Heat Transfer Material

Embroidery Floss & Needle

Sewing Machine

Die-cut Machine {I have an Epic 6}

Hot Glue

2 – 12 inch ribbons {w/ sealed edges}

Dies used: Doily Punches & Nesting Circles {can be used in any manual die-cut machine}

The tutorial:

1. Cut out the mask outline (download here).

2. Using your die-cut machine, cut out circles (purple mask: approx. 2 1/3 inch, brown mask: approx. 2 1/2 inch). I used these circles from Lifestyle Crafts {here}. Using the doily punch {here}, I cut out flocked heat transfer material {here}.

3. Iron two doilies onto the two white felt circles {**At this point I cut around the doilies for the brown mask, then I hot glued them to the bigger circle I cut}.

4. Cut out the center of the doily. I wanted a clean cut, so I used one of the smaller nesting circles {here}.

5. Place the eyes and beak onto the mask and draw the eyes circles onto the mask {You may want to measure the distance between your child’s eyes}. Remove the eyes/beak and cut the circles out. I cut my circles about 1/8 inch bigger than the circles I had drawn.

6. Pin 2 pieces of 12 inch ribbon to either side of the mask. Pin the beak onto the mask. Starting at the edge of the beak, beginning sewing around the mask. Be sure to sew down the edge of the beak on both sides, leaving the middle  of the beak un-sewn.

7. Hot glue around the inner circle of the eyes, leaving the edge free of glue. Place onto the owl.

8. Hot glue a bow onto the owl. Using embroidery floss, sew a running stitch around the edge of the eye.

**If you want to add a backing to the mask. Cut another piece of felt, using template A. You can sandwich the ribbon (step 6) between the front of the mask and the newly create backing. Continue on with the remaining steps.

Get 20% off your entire Lifestyle crafts purchase with the code: CREATE

I love comments!

Disclosure:

I did receive free product for writing this post. However, I only work with companies/products that I love & use regularly. My Epic 6 from Lifestyle Crafts definitely fits into that category :)

Linking to Skip to my Lou   &  Tatertots & Jello

Comments

1. Ashley says:

These are too adorable! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Sharing on my facebook wall : )

2. SO CUTE, Heid! Love it!

3. Sooo cute!

4. Maks says:

These are so cute Heidi! I’m thinking of making woodland animal masks as a Party favor for our youngest daughter’s B-Day in November. I definitely have to pin these :-). Have a nice day and thanks for sharing – maks :-)

5. That mask is so adorable, but the cutie making the “who” owl lips is just the cutest!

6. Shut. The. Door. Ooooooo WOW!! Those little masks are the cutest EVER!!!!
    I am definitely adoring them, pinning them, sharing on Facebook!!!

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

7. RSA Online says:

This is sooo cute. Will make this for my daughter. Thanks for sharing.

8. Ami Allison says:

Oh my gosh!!! SO cute! My sweet Alice would absolutely love this!! I’m going to have to make one for her. I love the cute owley face your girl is making in the first pic. TOO ADORABLE!!! We are having a Halloween Craft Link Party. We would love for you to link this cutie up!!! http://www.alililyblog.com/2012/09/create-share-halloween-craft-projects-round-up-party.html

9. Super cute! Love the colors you chose!

10. Melinda says:

really cute! i posted a more “crafty” one the other day using paper and kiddie embellishments, would love for you to take a peek http://lookwhatmomfound.com/2012/09/owl-mask-craft.html

thanks

11. SO adorable! I love them :)

I featured them on my TT&J FB page :)

xoxoxo

12. Lolly Jane says:

This is soooo stinkin cute!!!

Trackbacks

1. Owl for free says:

[...] t-shirt and leggings would be perfect to finish it off! Lastly, using this sweet template from Sew.Craft.Create, I made a cute little mask to complete the owl look. Isn’t it [...]

2. [...] DIY owl mask tutorial we’d recommend doing before your guests arrive so they can party in style (doubles as a [...]