Sunburst Flower Tutorial

Remember that cute headband Little L was wearing a few days ago?

Well, here’s the tutorial! Now you can make your own! yay!

1. Knot the end of your fabric strip (this strip will be your flower’s center).

2. Start wrapping it around the knot, twisting lightly as you go.

3. Stitch in the back as you wrap.

4. When your flower’s center is desired size, stop. Stitch the end of the rosette into place and cut off the tail hanging from your beginning knot.

5. Tightly twist the tail end.

6. Create a small loop with the tail going behind.

7. Stitch it into place on the flowers back.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 all the way around.

9. When you complete the first flower. Stitch the end firmly into place.

10. Cut off the remaining strip.

11. Knot the end of the new strip and stitch onto the first flower between any two petals.

12. Twisting as you go, wrap it around one loop, stitching along the back as you go.

13. If your doing step 12 correctly, it should look like this from the front.

14. Continue all the way around the flower.

15. If your doing step 14 correctly, it should look like this from the back. Stitch end into place and cut off remaining strip.

16. Knot new strip and stitch on between any two petals.

17. Repeat steps 11 and 12 again. Stitch end into place and cut off remaining strip.

18. Done! Now, glue or stitch it onto any headband! {I hot-glued a strip of jersey to the back and hot-glued a felt circle over it to cover the exposed edges.}

What do you think?

Comments

1. i.ikeda says:

I think this is lovely! I’ve been looking for fabric flower ideas to make for my little one is this is perfect. Thank you for sharing.

2. Dianna says:

This is absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing :)

3. nice!!

4. kellie says:

so sweet. many thanks for sharing :)

5. Super duper cute!! so no pattern shop yet? ;)

6. Beth Kohl says:

Love this! Thank you for sharing! Great to do by hand while waiting at my girls sports practices! Going to try it out. :)

7. I LOVE it!!!! You’re so talented Heidi!! :)

8. Michelle says:

Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Barbara says:

This is so cute! Definitely going to have to try it soon.

10. Carla says:

I love it!!

11. Kristi says:

I LOVE this!! Thanks for the tutorial. Off to pin this!

12. Melissa says:

What a gorgeous flower. And headband. And little girl.

13. Rhonda says:

Such a pretty flower, and beautiful girl. Can’t wait to make these for my grand daughters. Thanks for sharing your talent.

14. Tracy says:

Honestly, the sweetest lil’ thing I’ve ever seen….and so is the headband Ü
    I can not WAIT to try this…and I’ve sewing impaired so if I’m willing to try it, its a keeper!
    Color combination is absolutely perfect. Can I bug you to find out what type of fabric this is? Again, sewing impaired (see above confession).
    THANKS!!

• Heidi says:

Tracy,
      Thanks! The yellow fabric is suede {you’d never know it to look at it though cause it’s the backside of the suede}, the white is silk, and the pink is suede too.
      Never feel bad asking any question! Happy to answer any of them! :)
      -H

15. jen says:

super cute!!! I love how summery it looks

16. Donna says:

Visiting from TT&J! Thanks for the tutorial!

17. Shannon says:

I love it and want to make one for myself!

18. Absolutely adorable. And great tutorial:) Pinning it now!
    ~Melissa, Midwest Magnolia

19. Shabby Gals says:

This is too cute and I can’t wait to try it for my daughter. Thanks for sharing!!!

20. Annie says:

Lovely! And beautiful model and pictures too!

21. Gillian says:

This is perfect! I have been looking for a fabric flower to adorn a coiled fabric basket I just made. Thanks for the great idea!

22. Love it! And thank you for making a tutorial for a slightly different flower! =)
    -Shara

23. Marina says:

O WAW. Lovely, lovely, lovely. And the pictures alone. You always make me smile.

Springlove

24. Sky says:

LOVE this- so cool to see a new fabric flower, and one that fits my style at that! Can’t wait to make some of these! Thanks so much for sharing- and really a nice tutorial! :) Hope you have a great week!

25. monica says:

Soooooo beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

26. Ashlee says:

I love this headband. I’m not very talented with the fabric flower rolling, but this is worth trying it for, it’s lovely! I’m featuring it on Topsy Turvy Tuesdays this week, thanks for linking up!

27. JaneEllen Jones says:

I’ve seen alot of fabric flowers and the sunburst is a wonderful variation. A little more work and detail but think once I get used to the technique it’ll be workable. Very good tutorial to show those harder parts. Seeing how it should look at certain stages really helps alot. Thanks for sharing. The little girl is adorable.

28. This is beautiful! Love all of the sweet details and your little model is gorgeous! I would love, love, love it if you would share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/04/pink-hippo-party-74.html

29. Joni LeBaron says:

This flower is adorable, it seems like every where I turn I see the same flowers over and over again, in different designs and super cute but I love how fresh and simple this one is, thanks for sharing!!!!

30. Katie says:

I tried to do this and failed miserably!! What is the secret? Do I need a thicker fabric like the seude? Oh help!! I love this and am dying to make this for my little girl!!!!

31. Michelle says:

I love this! Found you thru pinterest! Thanks for sharing your talents!

32. Headant says:

That is so cute! I need to go raid my stash!

33. chrissie says:

Is there a particular fabric that is best to use? Should I avoid any particular fabrics? I’d love to use up my scrap stash & this looks like a good way to do just that while sitting in front of the TV. My scraps range from leather to poly-satins to cottons & even some upholstery; hence my concern over what can or cannot be used. I don’t have much in the way of stretchy fabrics either. Can regular grosgrain ribbon be used?
    Thanks for your thoughts & input into my questions.

• Heidi says:

I like using a thicker fabric for the inner-most flower, a lighter fabric for the middle flower and a thicker fabric for the outer-flower. Sorry it took me forever to respond! Busy days over here ;)
      Thanks for stopping by!

34. Cyntia says:

Thanks a lot from Chile.

35. AngieBee says:

Wowzers!! How the scrap am I *just* finding your cool site!?!? I am in LOVE with soooo many of these great projects and if you don’t mind, might have to adapt a few to teach my little Girl Scouts–they LURVE to craft and are learning to sew ;-)

My 2 year old is here wanting the owl and the bows-haha!

Thanks for the great ideas and inspiration–I am pinning and bookmarking like a mad woman!

angie

• Heidi says:

Thank you SO much for your comment! You just made my day :)
      I love hearing from people that stop by :) and you should definitely try these out on your girl scouts! I am in charge of a 8-10yo girl youth group for my church and they LOVE crafting too!

Thanks again! and thanks for stopping by!

36. Karla Kurtz says:

I made one!!!! It took a few hours but the outcome is gorgeous!!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] this sunburst headband gorgeous or what!!! I love it, seriously lovely, the model is pretty precious too! There is a great [...]

2. [...] shows you how to make this adorable sunburst flower headband. Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the [...]

3. [...] shows you how to make this adorable sunburst flower headband. Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the [...]

4. [...] shows you how to make this adorable sunburst flower headband. Share this:PrintEmailFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. By urbanmoocher [...]