Design fabric from home! 2 Free Printables!

{update: spelling hiccup fixed}
I have been going printable crazy lately! Check out my latest printable… a personalized v-day card!

Download the personalized version below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you know that you can design and make your own fabric from home!!! Well you can! No special machine… no expensive materials…nothing, just a plain ol’ inkjet printer, thin white fabric, and freezer paper! uh-huh… that’s all!

I made this design using power point
{download at bottom of post}
…and in few easy steps turned it into these adorable shirts!

Directions:

Step 1: Iron the shiny side of freezer paper onto fabric
(I used an old white dress shirt from the hubby).

Step 2: Cut fabric/freezer paper to standard printer paper size (8.5 X 11).

Step 3: Feed one sheet at a time through your inkjet printer (do not use a laser printer). Make sure it prints directly onto fabric. Ink may appear on the edges of your fabric, so make sure there is plenty of space between your design and the edge.

Step 4: Peel fabric from the freezer paper. Iron it to heat-set the ink. I placed a piece of clean fabric over the design and ironed that fabric.

Step 5: Cut to desired size.

Step 6: {optional, you can just sew it to your shirt} Apply heat bond lite (follow heat bond instructions) to the back of the design and cut off the excess heat bond liner (around the edges of your design).

Step 7: Remove the liner and iron design to your background fabric. Cut the background fabric to desired size.

Step 8: Apply heat bond lite to the back of the background fabric.
Step 9: Cut off any excess liner.

Step 10: Remove the liner and iron onto shirt. Sew around the edges of your design, fixing your design to the shirt. I choose to use white thread for the background fabric and pink thread for the designed fabric.

Download your free printable here!
Click on the little down arrow on the box below.
(for personal use only)

Comments

1. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} says:

Love it. Thanks for the tutorial!

2. Alayna Howard says:

GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU FOR SHARING. I WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU WOULD LINK YOUR SUPER CUTE BLOG UP ON MY BLOG STALKIN' PAGE.

3. Amy says:

Love love love your idea! Can't wait to try this.

4. sedromomma says:

Hi Heidi! I started doing this a couple of months ago but just adhered the fabric to heat and bond and cut it to size and ran it through the printer. I do love the freezer paper idea for when you don't want to bond the fabric! I linked back to this tutorial on my blog http://janeami.blogspot.com/2011/02/printable-fabric-tutorial-yay.html giving you full credit of course! Thanks so much!

5. Heidi says:

Great idea, Jane! Thanks for commenting! and thanks for reminding me, I did use the iron to set the ink but forgot to mention it in the tutorial… off to fix that! :)

6. Tabitha says:

Thanks for this. Hubby's Bday is the 14th so I am going to add that to the inside. New follower here.

7. Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

Love those shirts Heidi!! I have never used freezer paper for this!! I love it!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!

8. Cabby Crafter says:

how cool is this? what an awesome idea. I've always wondered how to make personalized shirts from home.

9. Spunky Junky says:

WOW! Hold the phone! What a cute idea. I am putting a link to this post on the Spunky Junky facebook page.

Halsey

10. RuthG says:

I had no idea you could do this, genious! When you iron to heat set after printing, do you iron on printed side or opposite side or do you cover with fabric and iron?

11. Heidi says:

Thanks for pointing that out Ruth. I went ahead and added the info to the tutorial. I placed a piece of clean fabric directly over the design and ironed on that fabric.

Thanks for reading! and for the comment!

12. Kimberlee says:

That is sooooo cooooool! I hadn't thought you could use powerpoint to create those type of graphics.
    ~Kimberlee

13. Leanne says:

Hi Heidi,

Thank you for posting this! I just got around to printing last night for a baby gift I'm making. Now I'm just wondering, have you washed the shirts yet? Does the ink hold ( I did set it with the iron). I'm afraid to give away a baby gift that will wash out the first time through the wash.

Thanks!

14. lemondedis says:

excellente idée !… j’aime beaucoup… merci de partager vos créations; et je partage le lien immédiatement !… je cherche des freebies sur le Web pour les partager : créer m’a beaucoup aidée, après un grave accident qui m’a laissée handicapée, et je veux partager le plaisir de la création avec d’autres, surtout ceux qui ont peu de moyens, et qui ont le plus besoin de matériel gratuit !… c’est pour cette raison que j’apprécie vraiment les sites comme celui-ci et les créateurs qui ont la gentillesse et la générosité d’offrir ainsi leur travail… (http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/ j’ai, à l’heure actuelle, plus de 12000 liens vers des téléchargements gratuits mais j’en ajoute chaque jour…)