Ipad Case Tutorial

(For Personal Use Only)
My husband and I are Mac fanatics, so when the Ipad first made its appearance I knew it was only a matter of time before it made its way into our home. The only problem… the cases are not my style. So I decided to make my own.
What you need:
2 pieces of 9 1/2 X 12 1/2 inch outer fabric
2 pieces of 10 X 13 inch batting
2 pieces of 12 1/2 X 20 inch inner fabric
11 1/2 inch zipper
Sewing machine
Needle & thread
 1 binder
Directions:
Cut the binder as shown.
Cut the binder pieces to 8 1/2 X 11.

Place outer fabric with right sides together. Add batting on top and bottom of outer fabric.

Pin the pieces together.
Start 1/2 inch from the top of the outer fabric (shown), you will need the extra space for to attach the zipper at the top. Sew 1/4 inch (remember to backstitch) from the edge of the outer fabric. You will need to lift the batting as you sew, to make sure you are still sewing the outer fabric. Sew down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side. Leave 1/2 inch at top. Backstitch.

Cut of the corners.

Turn inside out. Use pin to pull corners out.

Sew along the outer edge of the case.

Attach the zipper as shown. Sew down the middle of the zipper (where the pins are located in my picture). Remember to backstitch.

Turn right-side out. Sew below zipper on the outer-fabric.
Take inner fabric and wrap around the binder piece. Sew the two edges of the inner fabric about 1/8 of an inch from where the binder ends. Repeat for the other piece.

Take the two pieces pin & sew together. End product should look like this. Don’t remove the excess fabric. It will help protect the ipad.

Insert lining into outer shell. Using a needle and thread sew lining to the outer fabric or zipper. Do not push all of the way through the outer fabric, you don’t want your stitches to show.
Add any accessories and voila! A very cute case for your Ipad.

Comments

1. Caitlin says:

Heidi I LOVE this!! You are so talented!!! I love the fabric and the flowers and the colors!!! I also LOVE my headband that I got in the mail!!! It's perfect and lovely and everyone is jealous of it!!! Thanks again!

2. Heidi says:

Great! I am glad that you got it, I always get nervous when I send something :)

3. Desiree Barlow says:

You are so creative…This was an awesome idea!!

4. savvy stitch says:

This case is gorgeous!!! Now I just have to figure out what an IPad is. It looks bigger than an IPhone. :)

5. Heidi says:

Savvy Stitch – Thanks for your comment. I put a link to the ipad in the post. It is basically a laptop, but sooo much cooler! I am in love!

Thanks again. Have a great day!

6. padacs says:

Thank you so much for sharing it.that's amazing!!
    PADACS Canto iPad Case combines protection and flexibility into one stylish iPad case. The reinforced leather exterior with fold over magnetic clip provides durability while the adjustable stand makes your iPad functional in a range of situations.

Leather iPad Case

7. Lindsay says:

Love it. I just finished mine and absolutely love it. Next up is one for my husband!

8. You TOTALLY rock! Thank you for this! XO

9. Jess says:

This is an awesome idea and what a great tutorial!! I think this will make a great christmas gift for my mac-loving brother-in-law. Thank you!!!

10. Heidi says:

Thanks everyone! I am glad that you can use it!

11. This is so beautiful!!!

12. Jessa Irene says:

Love that you used a binder! I actually feel like I could make this. Love your ideas.

13. Heidi says:

Thanks Jessa! So glad you stopped by!

14. allthingsadored says:

Great ipad cover! You're so brilliant! I even love the fabric you use. Could you send me a link where you got it? Thanks!

15. amberselk says:

Do you have any tutorials, suggestions, for making the cute flowers on the outside? I have a shirt and a few bags that would love those flowers.

16. amberselk says:

Oh, nevermind, I just saw it under the 'tutorials' section. Ugh. Sorry! Love this though. Wish I had an ipad to make it for!

17. Heidi says:

All Things Adored,

Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you asked, I also LOVE that fabric… it is one of my favorites…. I purchased mine from quilthome.com. I just checked for you and they don't carry it in grey anymore. They do have it in many other beautiful colors. If you love the grey, here is the information… maybe you can copy and paste it into google to see who sells it…

Ginseng HDJD05-Stone Home Decor Fabric by Joel Dewberry

Let me know if you have anymore questions,

Heidi

18. Liz says:

Love the case. Definitely making one for mine. Thanks for the tutorial!

19. hiyaluv says:

what a fabulous tutorial! i am so excited and think i can do this:)
    smiles,
    gina

20. Pat says:

This is a great tutorial!..
    I love the colors and the design I will make my own too..
    Thanks for the ideas..

21. Pat says:

This is a great tutorial!..
    I love the colors and the design I will make my own too..
    Thank you for sharing of ideas..

Pat
    ipad cases

22. Hi

Thank you for the fab tutorial , on the ninth photo it says sew along outer edge I'm a bit confused at this bit why do I need to sew along outer edge?

23. Heidi says:

Hi Polka Dot Patch,

I like to sew around the outer edge because it gives it a clean, polished look. It does not need to be done for the case to be structurally sound. It's merely for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks!

Heidi

24. I just made this with a laminated Amy Butler fabric and I love it!!!! Sending this idea to a friend!!

25. Peggy says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I love the zipper closure and the fact that it is soft from the batting and yet stiff from the liner. I just finished my cover and love it. I ended up using Peltex instead of a binder so I can wash it and it turned out great. Next time I will try inserting the zipper prior to sewing up the edges because I think it will be easier and lead to a cleaner finish. Again Heidi, you did a fantastic job on this pattern.

26. Anonomous says:

Hi, Hidi
    Thank you! I just made an iPad cover & this was much easier then the one I made! I decided to make my husband one & found this tutorial – much less stress then the one I made & sturdier! My husband is going to show his off at work – now I'll be making them for the guys at work! Thanks again!

27. Heidi says:

Great! I'm so glad that it worked out for you! Thanks for the comment!

28. Debbie says:

Awesome! I have wracked my brain trying to figure out what I can use for stability in an iPad cover. An ols binder never dawned on me! Thanks for the idea!

29. lavva ittt!

30. Heidi,

Was your case waterproof? I have a friend that would like for me to make her one.

Love the colors and extras you added.

31. This is really a fabulous post to know about the process of making beautiful ipad case. The way you have presented the process of making the ipad case is quite impressive. The images you have provided the makes the process more easy and informative. Thanks a lot.

32. miu says:

It's so beautiful !!

33. DiLin Anand says:

This post has been removed by the author.

34. DiLin Anand says:

There's this denim iPad cover that i saw and i was wondering if you could post an article to make something similar.. i hope it'll be as easy as this =)

You really are beautifully talented *thumbs up*!

Dilin

35. Anonymous says:

How does a 12 1/2 X 20 piece of fabric (inner lining) wrap around the 8 1/2 X 11 binder piece. Maybe I'm missing something? Really want to make this!!!

36. Heidi says:

Hi anonymous,

if you place the binder's 11 inch edge against the 12 1/2 lining edge and wrap the 20 inch edge around the 8 1/2 height of the binder, it works. I need to redo this tutorial to include betters. I will hopefully be doing that soon.

Thanks!

37. aubrey says:

i dont quite understand how to do the inner part…

38. Teresa says:

Does this work for an iPad 2? Not sure if dimensions are the same. Thanks for the great tutorial!

• Heidi says:

It might be a little big for the iPad2, as the new iPad is a little smaller, but not by much.

Hope this helps,
      -H

39. Rebecca Arroyo says:

I’d pay you to make this for me. :) Email me.

40. Rebecca Arroyo says:

Here is my corrected email. I’d pay you to make one for me. :)

• Heidi says:

I’m so sorry, I would totally make it for you if I weren’t CRAZY busy! My three little kids and my blog keep me on my toes :(
      Have a great day! and I’m sorry I couldn’t help!

41. brava! bel lavoro.

42. Cindy says:

Now if it only had handles & fabric for a man. My husband has something in mind with handles that isn’t made yet & he is OCD & very particular. I am going to see if I can manage to put handles on this. :) Thanks for the head start!

43. Susan says:

I like the idea of using the binder to keep the project nice and rigid. I’m not very wild about the hand sewing the zipper, but I guess I can get over that.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Ipad Case Tutorial Cut of the corners. Turn inside out. Use pin to pull corners out. Do not remove the excess material around the stitches. It will provide padding for the edges of your ipad case. [...]

2. Tech Toys says:

[...] a fabric iPad case to protect your iPad, as well as to carry it. Guys would probably prefer not to have the [...]